Every person in the world devotes countless hours to thinking of their future and their present situation in life. Almost everyone wishes that there was something that they could change in their life.
Whether it is our family life; our friendships; relationships or finances, everyone wants to change something. I’ve come to understand and learn that setting goals has been the beneficial factor for me achieve my greatest successes in life. However, many of us are great at trying to set goals; but most of the time we are practically incapable of following through with them.
Think about it. How many times have you decided on a course of action and simply didn’t follow through with it? Your not alone in this, that’s pretty much the norm for most people.
How to set successful Goals
Sometimes setting goals alone is not the only problem that you must face. Sometimes, choosing the right goals to begin with is harder. Basically, you can choose to work on any goal that you feel is necessary for your health, stability and happiness.
Goal setting is nothing more than a formal process for personal planning. By setting goals on a routine basis, you decide what you want to achieve, and then move in a step-by-step manner towards the achievement of these goals.
The process of setting goals and targets allows you to choose where you want to go in life. By knowing exactly what you want to achieve, you know what you have to concentrate on to do it. You also know what nothing more than a distraction is.
Goal setting is a standard technique used by professional athletes, successful business people and high achievers in all fields. It gives you long term vision and provides you with short term motivation. It also helps to focus your attention and knowledge which helps you to organize your resources. By setting sharp and clearly defined goals, you can measure and take pride in the achievement of those goals. You can see forward progress in what might previously have seemed a long pointless effort.
Moving forwards successfully with your goals
By setting goals, you will also raise your self confidence, as you recognize your ability to meet the goals that you have set for yourself. The process of achieving goals and seeing this achievement, gives you the confidence that you will be able to achieve higher and more difficult goals later on in the future.
Goals are set on a number of different levels.
- At first, you decide what you want to do with your life and what large scale goals you want to achieve.
- Second, you break these down into the smaller aims that you must hit so that you reach your overall lifetime goals.
- Finally, once you have your plan, you start working towards achieving it.
Beginning your goal setting plans
By setting up this structure of plans you can break even the biggest life goal down into a number of small tasks that you need to do each day to reach your lifetime goals.
The first step in setting personal goals is to consider what you want to achieve in your lifetime, as setting lifetime goals gives you the overall perspective that shapes all other aspects of your decision making process.
To help give you a broad and balanced coverage of all important areas in your life, try to set goals in some or all of the following categories:
- Do you want to achieve any artistic goals? If so, what is it? Do you want to write a book; paint a masterpiece, or write a song?
- Does your own mindset hold you back from making progress? Is there any part of the way that you behave that upsets you for example, are you always late to meeting? If so, set a goal to improve your behaviour or find a solution to the problem.
- What level do you want to reach in your career? Is it your goal to be the boss or own your own company someday, or do you want to be the president of someone else’s company?
- Is there any knowledge you want to acquire in particular or some area of study that you would like to pursue? What information and skills will you need to achieve these goals?
- Do you want to be a parent? If so, how are you going to be a good parent? How do you want your partner or family members to see you?
- How much do you want to earn by what age in your life? What can you do to make that come about?
- Are there any athletic goals you want to achieve, or do you want good health deep into old age? What steps are you going to take to achieve this?
- How do you want to enjoy yourself? You should ensure that some of your life is geared toward making yourself happy for no reason other than being happy
- Do you want to make the world a better place by your existence? If so, how?
Once you have decided your goals in these categories, you have to assign a priority to them if you want to succeed. Then review the goals and re-prioritize until you are satisfied that they reflect the shape of the life that you want to lead.
Also, you should ensure that the goals that you have set are the goals that you want to achieve, and not what your parents, spouse, family, or employers want them to be. Success only happens when you are working for your own well being because doing it for others will ensure that you sabotage your own success.
Thank you, as always, for reading my latest post. Share your thoughts and ideas directly in the comments. If you loved what you just read why don’t you take a look at other posts of mine here.
Get all the my latest innovative and creative business resources, strategies and ideas all under one roof over at Rachael Academy.
“We are truly Amazing, we can change the world with one kindness at a time“.
With all my love, send me a message and let’s have a chat.
And as I promised there are some exciting things in store for 2018, so make sure you stay tuned. If you subscribe to my updates you will be the first to get notified of any new developments.