The Two Edge Sword Of Habits
Many of us develop habits that we never planned to develop in our lives. When those habits turn sower and become a habit that leads us down wrong roads we then call those habits addictions. Now I’ m no expert in helping you deal with addictions, but I have myself had an addiction. Mine was thankfully addiction to watching TV.
Through my twenties I became very depressed so to pass many unwanted hours and days I would sit in front of the Television with my controller in hand, watching tons and tons of soaps or films anything I could get my hands on. It became an addiction because I would literally sit in front of the screen for 15 hours at a time. It never accrued to me that I was going through a time of depression in my life until I stood back and looked into my addiction of bingeing on TV.
Now I can’t specifically remember how I came to the decision to stop bingeing on TV, but I do know one train of thought that helped me massively was ‘FINDING MY PURPOSE‘.
If you are suffering from depression there are some great places and things that can help conquer your depression. Here are just a few things for you to checkout.
I came to the conclusion that I had no purpose, well as a teenager I had developed a purpose for my future but somewhere along the lines it got lost along the way while becoming a mother, having children, getting married and getting stuck into the day to day mundane of life.
Having A Sense Of Purpose Can Go A Long Way
Having a sense of purpose in your life goes a long way to helping you feel confident, secure and happy. A sense of purpose can be brought about by anything in life, it can be related to your career, bringing up a family or doing voluntary work in your spare time. I realised that for me my purpose was linked to me fitting in . It’s all about fitting in and feeling you are making a difference in life, that you are achieving something and getting somewhere.
My love affair to finding what my purpose was in life became my mission and the more and more I focused on my purpose, the more and more my depression lifted and so did my addiction to TV bingeing. I know for some it can be really difficult to come to the place of honesty in your life, but let me assure you this is where you must start if you want to discover who you really are and become truly happy and successful in life.
If You Have A Sense Of Purpose In Life You Have Something To look Forward to Everyday
If you have a sense of purpose in life you have something to look forward to everyday, a reason for getting up out of bed in the morning with a smile, it makes you feel good on the outside and so good on the inside. It leads to a more confident person who is happy with their position in life.
Younger people very often have no problem developing a purpose in life, they are just starting out in life and the majority of them have exams to pass, careers to start building, meeting the opposite sex, dating, marrying and eventually starting their own families. The majority of the younger generation has a lot to look forward to and so have a sense of purpose in life. If you are in this bracket make sure that you cultivate your purpose every single day in ways that will allow in to continue to grow as you grow in life, in your career and in your personal life.
However the older we get, uncertainty can set in and we can start wondering about our purpose in life. Perhaps the children have grown up and are no longer dependent on you. Relationships break up or we reach retirement age and no longer have our work as a purpose in life.
How To Get Your Purpose Back
The older generation then has to develop a new sense of purpose in life, luckily there are many ways you can achieve this, and here are some of the more common ones.
- Take up a new hobby and do something you have always wanted to do but have never had the time before.
- Join a social club, there are many social clubs which let people of the same age group meet on a regular basis and enjoy coffee and chatting. A lot of these groups have activities you can take part in and outings to attend.
- Join an exercise group either locally or at a gym, there are various types of exercise you can take part in without being too strenuous. Swimming meets are a great idea for the older person.
- Take up a sport such a tennis or bowling e.t.c.
- Visit family and friends on a regular basis and have them come over for dinner
- Take up some voluntary work for a few hours every day, it gives you a sense of purpose and gets you out of the house.
- Take a part time job that you can adequately cope with for a few hours per week.
- Take a walk in the park and say hello to passers by, very often you will meet other people who are in the same boat as you; you can make new friends just about anywhere.
- Visit a dating agency and get back into meeting the opposite sex again, it’s never too late to start a relationship.
I so much wish for you that you live a fulfilling and happy life. It’s not just all about the pursuit of money and success. What is the good of having all the money you could ever want but your still as miserable as a wet potato.
Author: Rachael Aprill Phillips
Bio: Rachael Aprill Phillips is the CEO and founder of The Richible Group a collective of companies whose vision is to help over a million people launch, run and grow a highly successful business. She was also named Top Global Marketing Expert by Huffington Post.